How to Accessorize a Bedroom
There are simple techniques you can use to accessorize your bedroom so that it becomes your private sanctuary for restful sleep and not just a place to lay your head. Read the suggestions below for ideas that range from stylish and trendy to just plain “down home” comfort.
- Decide what elements about your bedroom are the most important to you. If you must watch television before nodding off, consider getting a cabinet to conceal the TV when you are not watching it. If reading in bed is near and dear to you, do everything you can to create the most comfortable reading conditions. Add comfy pillows and a fuzzy blanket to your bed. It will make your bed comfier and stylish.
- Choose a focal point. For most bedrooms, the focal point is the bed because it is usually the largest piece of furniture in the room.
Buy the most luxurious bed linens you can afford.
Choose a color scheme that you love. If your walls are a neutral color, you can add a comforter and pillow shams that have multiple colors and designs. Also you can paint all your walls a neutral color, and then paint the wall with your bed against it an accent color.
Add colorful throw pillows to your bed. You can easily move them to a chair or a dresser at night before you go to sleep.
- Select draperies or blinds that complement your bed linens.
- Keep wall art simple and only hang art pieces that please you. Disturbing themes and harsh colors are not calming.
- Consider applying a new coat of paint if the color of your walls doesn’t make you happy. Paints with soft pale hues are considered to create a more restful and sleep-inducing ambiance.
- Assess the lighting in the bedroom. Replace harsh, bright light bulbs with soft, low-wattage bulbs. Replace broken, torn or shabby lampshades with fresh new lampshades.
- Add a potted plant or a vase of fresh flowers to add a fresh look.
- Place colorful throw rugs near the bed and the doorway. If your bedroom has old carpeting and new flooring material is not in your budget, try adding a few throw rugs to breathe new life into your worn carpeting.
- Group your new accessories into odd numbers so that you avoid a completely symmetrical décor. Experiment with various heights, colors and textures. For example, pair a tall sculpture with a round woven basket placed on a crocheted runner, or put a few books next to a vase of flowers.
- Your bedroom makeover will be more enjoyable if you keep it uncluttered and organized.
- Look around for local vintage or previously owned furniture shops. They usually have the most unique household accessories for decent prices.
- Try putting pictures up around the room, or decorating frames with beads, stickers, and scarves!
- It’s easy to stay within your budget if you buy inexpensive items from yard sales or consignment shops.
- Only put up pictures that you like!
- Be sure to properly ventilate your bedroom if you decide to repaint it. Once you have finished painting, keep the windows open for another few hours to allow the paint fumes to dissipate.
- There is such a thing as over accessorizing. Cluttering up your bedroom with excessive furniture and knickknacks can give you the opposite effect of a peaceful sleep sanctuary.